Friday, February 2, 2007

Globs, Globes, & Globalization

Ikea: the mecca for people looking to decorate their homes inexpensively and Swedishly.

My roommates and I took a long-awaited trip to Ikea last Sunday, looking for bedding, candles, and things for the kitchen…in general, things to make the place feel like home.

It made me smile when I walked by the same globe lamp that is owned by Jason Peters. This distinctive lamp was nearly the only thing in his living room for over a year. Seeing it was just like passing by Jason right there in Ikea. I also spotted my favorite piece of furniture that I owned in Portland, my 7-foot tall mirror with black wood frame. I had to sell it on craigslist before I left, but there it was, available for me to buy for my apartment in Italy...if I so desired. After awhile, though, when I walked by my former loft bed, the duvet cover I once used, and half the other things I owned in Portland, I began to feel very disappointed. Wasn't there anything there that was there for Italians…for Italian tendencies and needs? It was all the same.

I think I'll go to the corner store for my next candle (olive or cappuccino-scented, of course).

2 comments:

equincy said...

Glad you felt right at home at Ikea, but---------the mirror--it would be heavy to air mail home! Love--Mom!

jessica said...

oh no...if i were a person who had on an anti-corporate soapbox, i would use your story as an example of swedish-brand capitalism gone bad.