Sunday, January 21, 2007

Clean Streets - a Haiku

For some reason I have been thinking in haiku. Today's entry is from my Haiku collection "Things I Miss Already."

CLEAN STREETS
Poo is everywhere.
Old cement smells of urine.
Watch your step, TQ.

The streets here are filthy. Dogs and animals alike relieve themselves where they like and don’t bother to “pick up” after themselves. Instead of looking up at the buildings and the sites around me, I find myself looking down to avoid the feces piles and those random puddles that seem to have appeared on the otherwise dry streets.

The other day I was walking in front of the school, and there was an empty Chicken McNuggets box beside a pile of dog feces. The pile was just the right size to fit in the box. The placement was so perfect that it almost looked like some artistic, political mind had put them there as a statement against America. We'll never know.

6 comments:

D said...

that's funny...i thought that a pile of crap is what normally comes in a chicken mcnugget box when you order it?

ruthie said...

another something you'll get used to huh?
i found an old w2 form of yours today.
L you.

linda said...

Hey, great you have this blog going... looking forward to checking in. Passed info on to the kids.
thanks
I've heard comments about the droppings before... your not alone!

Danyelle said...

I have similar sensory memories of Paris. Descending into the Metro, I always got a gust of stale doggie scented breeze in my face.

Graeme slaps you five.

Nicole said...

Really enjoy reading your commentary!

This is your only friend named Nicole that lives in Omaha.

equincy said...

Remember the elegant elderly lady in NYC who was walking her three well-dressed doggies and she stopped and picked up after one of them? Is Milan worse than Brussels?