Monday, January 15, 2007

Taking a Breath

This morning I walked to school for the first time without my two roommates. My walk took me by places I have only seen from the trolley. The endless pizzerias, the newspaper stands, the caffeterias (coffee houses)…

It’s important for me to venture on my own. If someone else knows the way, I just follow and neglect to pay attention to street signs or which way we last turned. For a whole week my roommates and I have been sharing a 3 bed hotel room, and consequently I have spent little time alone or doing things independently.

Today I liked the city. It’s not that I haven’t liked Milan, I just haven’t let myself evaluate it yet. I’ve been in survival mode…"fly to Milan, meet roommates, start school, meet new friends, try to speak Italian for the simplest of things, go, go, go"…I haven’t had time to just be...to smell the Milanese roses.

This week is men’s fashion week in Milan. Each fashion student has received 1 or 2 invitations to different runway shows. At noon our interpreter announced she had invitations for some to the Roberto Cavalli show, but those who received them had to leave right because the show started at 1:30. My name was the first to be called. I don’t know why, but it made me feel special, like I was the first picked for kickball at recess.

But why did I leave my camera at home today?
And why did I wear this outfit?

We had to figure out the show’s location and race across town to make it in time. We were late, but luckily we’re in Italy, where "on time" doesn’t mean anything.

Free champagne at the door.
Everyone dressed in black.
Me in my sneakers and puppy dog sweatshirt.

The male models, average age 18, were gawky and walked with odd form. The only thing I could think was their pants were too tight and were preventing them from taking normal strides. The young men looked unnatural in the luxe fabrics like silk, cashmere, and fur in which they were clothed. The show wasn't as polished as I expected.

It lasted all of 15 minutes.
A short first Milan runway show experience.

Still, my favorite part of my day was my half hour walk to school.

2 comments:

jessica said...

i'm starting a list of my favorite things about milan and/or you in milan. thus far we're only two items in, but i'm sure it'll grow.
1) the graffiti is design oriented
2) The Puppy Dog Sweatshirt at the Roberto Cavalli Show Story of 2007.

D said...

you did NOT wear the dog sweatshirt to a fashion show!?! you are such a special person.

thank you for blogging - i hope you didn't feel pressured or anything. i really do enjoy being able to drop in on your italian life at the click of a mouse. thanks friend.