Friday, August 17, 2007

beach scene: Bitez, Turkey on the Aegean Sea


Five times a day prayers are said over the town's speaker system.
Yet nothing could seem to contrast more with the surroundings...
a beach full of people at leisure.
Kelly Clarkson blasting from the seaside restaurant directly behind us.
People play on, barely noticing.

I bobble around in the salt water.
enjoying my newfound buoyancy...
gazing at the colorful umbrellas on the seashore.

Four tubby, blonde British tourists laze about on the deck chairs in front of us.
They haven't moved all day except to turn their bodies over in order to even their tans and to sit up when the waiter from the restaurant brought their hamburgers.

I contemplate cultural differences...
There seems to be a sense of awe when I tell people here I am an American. I can begin to understand this as I watch television in the hotel room. So much of it is from America, shows about people from a a land faraway that has little to do with their culture. Last night I watched the beginning of CSI NY with the eyes of an outsider, examining every character's face and thinking to myself, "That's an American,"...simply trying to understand what Alessia means when she says, "You look very American, Trish." I'm happy about the fact that I haven't run into even one other American tourist. The place is crawling with Europeans, but I'm a novelty.

I read Orhan Pamuk's book Istanbul as I lie in the sun. He paints a picture of a city in a state of corporate melancholy...living modern life in the ruins of several great empires, his words casting clouds over this perfectly sunny day at the beach.

No comments: